The Islet Isolation laboratory is able to isolate rat or mouse islets. The investigator can provide the mice (ULAM needs to be notified several days ahead of time for such transfers), or we can directly order the mice for an additional cost from approved vendors (e.g., Jackson Labs).
Depending on the needs of the investigators, the islets are then either immediately used for RNA or protein extraction or cultured overnight in RPMI culture media with 10% serum. An additional option is that we can now perform perifusion studies which allow the continuous monitoring of the dynamic islet responses to acute changes in glucose levels or in response to a secretagogue of the investigators choice.
Cost of Services
Rates Effective 4/1/2021 - 4/1/2022
The recharge for the following description, measurements, and rates applies to all internal users of this service:
- Islet Perifusion Study – first channel - $75 per channel
- Islet Perifusion Study – add’l channel - $41 per channel
- Islet Isolation - $42 per mouse
- Apoptosis - $51 per mouse
- β-α mass - $13 per mouse
- Proliferation - $19 per mouse
Also available: consultation for α- and β-cell mass assessment and static stimulation studies in isolated islets.
You are welcome to contact the core to discuss your specific experiments or needs.
* Cost is for sample collection only. PI can choose to analyze the samples themselves or submit samples to either the MDRC Clinical Chemistry Core or the MMPC for analysis.
Corentin Cras-Méneur, PhD
North Campus Research Complex
Building 20 Room 223W-C
Remember to cite the Michigan Diabetes Research Center (MDRC) in publications as follows:
“The project described was supported by Grant Number P30DK020572 (MDRC) from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases”