The overall objective of the Nutrition, Exercise and Phenotype Testing (NExT) Core (formerly the Human Phenotyping Core) is to enhance and expand the research capabilities of investigators performing clinical and translational studies related to nutritional interventions, obesity, or obesity-related conditions in humans.
NexT services are provided in three categories:
- Bionutrition support for clinical trials and dietary assessment through the Nutrition Assessment Laboratory (NAL)
- Physical activity/exercise assessments, testing, and exercise intervention support through the Physical Activity Laboratory (PAL).
- Metabolic Phenotyping services (e.g., body composition, resting metabolic rate, insulin sensitivity)
- Consultation services to university investigators regarding appropriate testing/assessment, and/or intervention approaches for their studies.
- Standardized and sophisticated nutritional assessments and physiological testing of human subjects for obesity related studies.
- Services to directly assist researchers in conducting dietary, behavioral, and/or exercise interventions in human subjects.
- Training in many techniques or the assistance in development of new techniques/technologies needed for the metabolic and behavioral assessment of humans.
We offer free study consultations for investigators considering using nutrition, physical activity, or metabolic phenotyping assessments or diet and/or exercise interventions in their research projects. Please complete this short form to schedule.
Ready to start your study?
Contact appropriate NexT Core staff for more detailed information. If you have not worked with NexT before, please start with the study consultation above.
We are following all University of Michigan and Health Systems COVID protocols. Specific details will be provided to you prior to starting your study.
Nutrition Assessment Laboratory (NAL)
Current services include dietary assessment design and execution, nutrition counseling, and menu/meal development, and DEXA. We are physically located in the Michigan Clinical Research Unit (MCRU) on Level 1 of the Cardiovascular Center (CVC) of UMHS, this facility includes a full metabolic kitchen, and NAL staff offices, and a DEXA room.
Physical Activity Laboratory (PAL)
Current services include a variety of exercise tests, physical activity assessment design and execution, and support for supervised exercise interventions. We are primarily located in Lobby M of Dominos Farms (Room 2121). This facility includes an exercise/metabolic testing room and an anthropometric assessment room (including Bod Pod and DEXA). There is also an exercise physiology testing room available within the MCRU on Level 1 of the CVC.
Current services include anthropometric assessment, clamp procedures, glucose tracers, tissue biopsies, and IVGTT. Metabolic phenotyping services are provided at both locations depending on the specific service being requested and your other study needs. In addition, we offer PEA POD services near the NICU in Mott.
MNORC - Human Phenotyping Core (Introduction 1/2)
MNORC - Human Phenotyping Core (Continuation 2/2)
Jeffrey Horowitz, PhD
Co-Director, Nutrition, Exercise and Phenotype Testing Core
Jeffrey Horowitz, PhD
Karen Peterson, DSc
NExT Core Manager